The Flagler College Communication Department is offering up to $500 in reporting funds to journalism and digital media production students during the fall semester of 2019.
Travel funds are to be used for the hard costs of reporting an assignment in Florida or elsewhere in the United States. This includes such expenses as gas money, meals and lodging.
Students may work alone or in groups of two or three.
Proposals will be judged on the following:
- Does the story have news and/or human interest value?
- Is the story doable in the time proposed for the project?
- Have sources agreed to be interviewed?
- Is the story proposal fair and balanced?
- Is there a plan for publication or broadcast of the story?
Online applications are due by 5 p.m. Nov. 1, 2019. Apply here.
Conditions of award:
- Students must be enrolled in COM 340 Backpack Journalism or COM 452 Advanced Reporting II.
- Students’ reporting plan must be approved by the instructor.
- Students must attend safety and security briefing with instructor.
- Students must complete the assignment and give a 15-minute presentation to the class following publication or broadcast of their project.